To salute the enormous amount of effort and determination put in by many locals over nine years, the Lovedale Chamber of Commerce celebrated the new boundaries of Lovedale with a Swing ‘n’ Blues night on 13th August, 2106. The night was held at Allandale Winery and was a great success, with over one hundred people attending.
Along with celebrating the official new Lovedale (with extended boundaries), the Chamber of Commerce also raised money to support the Maitland Hospital Foundation. The foundation is a not-for-profit entity from the Maitland Hospital. Greg Farrow, Director of the Foundation, was understandably delighted we have chosen Maitland Hospital as the beneficiary of our fundraising. The funds raised will go toward a Gregory Transport Chair.
The Lovedale Chamber of Commerce, along with Robert Brooks from Vintage Realty, will present the charity with the donation from the Lovedale Chamber of Commerce of around $4,200 including $1000 from Vintage Realty.
Local Lovedale businesses who supported the fundraiser include:
Reflections Day Spa | Mojos Picnic Hamper | Hunter Valley Tours | Hunter Trikes | Deck Café | Ogishi Glass | Slattery Helicopters | Sabor Dessert Bar | Beyond Ballooning | Capercaillie | Adina Vineyard | Tatler | Paul Geraeds & Rosemaree Herminjard | Bill & Sally Sneddon | Linda & Steve Barnes | Lovedale Brewery | Adina | Gartelmann | Allandale | Tatler | Capercaillie | Blackwattle Luxury Retreats | Ken & Jill Dobler | Thirsty Pallette | Tony Newton
Background to the Lovedale boundary change
In 2007 the Geographic Names Board (GNB) requested that Cessnock Council take steps to identify and establish the boundaries of Pokolbin, Lovedale and Rothbury. The Council issued a public notice advising the community that submissions were sought from the community to assist them in formalising a position to put to the GNB for consideration.
Lovedale businessman and long-time local resident Alex Stuart, was asked to assemble the information needed to support the Chamber’s decision to submit a proposal to Council to establish new boundaries for the Lovedale precinct within the Cessnock LGA. This was accomplished with the assistance and hard work of Bob Brady, who was then the owner of Warraroong Vineyard and the President of the Chamber at the time, Robyn Gill. It was very much a team effort.
The task involved collecting a mountain of documented evidence to support an expansion of the traditionally accepted boundaries of Lovedale to match the tourist map used by Lovedale businesses at the time for the promotion and identification of Lovedale. Public meetings were called to garner support, every house and business in the proposed area was mail dropped, letters of support from Lovedale businesses and residents were requested and eventually a significant and credible case for the new boundaries was finalised.
The case relied heavily on established facts such as the granting of the Trade Mark of Lovedale in early 2007, a mountain of historical evidence about the early years of the Lovedale wine industry starting in the 1820’s, the very active Lovedale Chamber and its publications and Lovedale Vignerons Association and events such as the Lovedale Long Lunch. The formal submission was signed off by Robyn Gill on the 25th September, 2007 and sent by the Chamber with 18 attachments to the GNB and Council.
Finally after a frustratingly protracted and, for a long time, unsuccessful attempt to get a decision for 9 years and the election of a new Council, the new precinct of Lovedale was born.
The new boundaries of Lovedale Hunter Valley may be found here.
Author: Amanda Lambert